Brescia's place for writers
Welcome to the Brescia University College Writing Centre! We will re-open in September 2019! Please check back then for our schedule! Have a wonderful summer!!
Thank you to our tutors for a wonderful winter 2019 semester: Leo M., Valentina B., Kamila R., Susie R., Brittany E., Zainab A. R., Laura S., Raina R., Jessica F., and Joanne G!
The Centre is here to support students and faculty as we learn to become more effective communicators. To help you become a better writer we offer a variety of services, including individual sessions with a writing tutor. During individual or group sessions, we provide:
Feedback on many forms of writing, including academic papers, oral and visual presentations, reviews, applications, and resumes
Assistance at any stage of the writing process, to help you learn strategies for generating ideas, locating writing resources, as well as planning, drafting, revising and editing your own work
We will not write your papers for you or serve as an editing or proofreading service. However, we will be happy to help you learn more about writing. We can use a paper you are writing and our resources to support that process. If you are concerned about a particular aspect of your writing, including grammar, we can help you to identify representative examples in your drafts and provide resources to help you learn how to improve your writing. Our goal is to help you develop your writing skills and become a better and clearer writer.
Please check back in September 2019!
You are also welcome to attend any publicized writing workshops and to use our writing resources, including handouts.
Our services are confidential and the records we keep are not open to professors, parents, administrators, or other students without your permission.
Thank you for visiting the Writing Centre. By attending a session, you thereby agree to the abovementioned policies. We welcome your feedback and will do our best to help you develop your voice and communication skills. Happy Writing!
The Writing Centre welcomes writers to talk about their writing. In the centre, we share academic communication strategies, a reference library, and access to online writing resources. The centre is open to all students and faculty at no charge.
Individual Writing Consultations
- To book an appointment email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plan to visit for 20 to 50 minutes
- Bring your ideas, doodles, drafts, and assignment sheets
- See RULES HERE: Click Here for the Writing Centre's RulesWe will not write your papers for you or serve as an editing or proofreading service. However, we will be happy to help you learn more about writing. We can use a paper you are writing and our resources to support that process. If you are concerned about a particular aspect of your writing, including grammar, we can help you to identify representative examples in your drafts and provide resources to help you learn how to improve your writing. Our goal is to help you develop your writing skills and become a better and clearer writer.The Centre operates on an appointment and drop-in basis. Please check our website for available scheduling times: https://writing.bresciauc.ca/
- Writing appointments are always in high demand, especially during November and March, so please try to make your appointment well in advance.
- You may only sign up for 1 appointment per day (one-on-one with the Writing Coordinator or one-on-one with a Writing Tutor at the Drop-in Centre in the Beryl Ivey Library). This is to ensure fairness and accessibility.
- As a rule, a student may utilize the Centre (either appointment OR drop-in) as often as they are able (once a day), but, only twice per assignment.
- The Drop-in Centre operates: Please check back in September
- Please do not sign for your peers. The appointments are allotted based on availability and on a first come, first serve basis.
- If you fail to attend your appointment without notice, you are considered a “no show.” This will affect your ability to make other writing appointments. Two “no shows” will result in not being able to book future appointments without the approval of the Writing Coordinator.
- If you are more than 20 minutes late for a 50 minute appointment, the writing tutor may cancel your appointment. This will affect your ability to make other writing appointments. Two cancellations (as a result of being 20 or more minutes late) will result in not being able to book future appointments without the approval of the Writing Coordinator.
- As a rule, we do not assist students with their exams / take home exams.
Please consult our schedule of operation to see who is available for French Language tutoring. Students make book a writing appointment via Drop-In Services to discuss writing or to practice their oral communication.
We welcome faculty to contact us about visiting classrooms to promote the Writing Centre. Mini workshops and classroom presentations about writing topics may also be arranged.
International Conversations: Conversation Circles & Writing Partners
If you’re interested in English conversation practice, please talk with Christina Lord (email@example.com). Our international conversation circles are organized to enhance your English conversation skills and help you to make new friends.
You can also talk about your readings and assignments in the Writing Centre, where we are happy to focus on all forms of communication.
Two workshops are available upon request:
- Writing at the University Level – Talking about essays and more
- The Editor’s Tips – Identifying and revising structural, grammatical and mechanical challenges
Additional workshops may be offered in response to student or faculty requests.
Literacy, Learning and Teaching
In a student-centred setting, our Writing Centre Coordinator and peer tutors will help you to find your voice in the academic community.
We help writers to:
- Improve reading strategies
- Conquer writer’s block
- Assess the writing process
- Clarify ideas
- Discover disciplinary conventions
- Summarize, evaluate, analyze, and synthesize arguments
- Consider essay and paragraph structures
- Learn self-editing and revising techniques
- Develop strategies for effective communication in English
- Create a compassionate writing community
- Empower writers’ academic, professional, and creative voices
- Invigorate student thinking and writing
- Engage in active learning
- Teach, learn, and explore literacy
Brescia’s Writing Centre is the place for all writers.